Lemonade Ice Cream Sandwiches
These frozen treats turn summer’s favorite drink into a delicious dessert. Soft lemon cookies are filled with tangy lemonade ice cream to make an ice cream sandwich unlike any other. They are the perfect sweet to make ahead so that they are ready as soon as your guests settle in for the final course.
TIME TO TABLE:
1 hour prep, 10 minutes baking, 8 hours freezing.
½ cup unsalted butter, softened
¾ cup granulated sugar
1 large egg, beaten
Zest of 1 Paramount Citrus lemon
1 teaspoon juice from a Paramount Citrus lemon
1 ½ cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon fine ground sea salt
1 ½ cups heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
¾ cup granulated sugar
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
¼ cup juice from a Paramount Citrus lemon
1. To make the cookies, cream together the butter and sugar in the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment for 2 minutes. Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.
2. Mix in the egg. Add the lemon zest and lemon juice. Mix until all ingredients are combined.
3. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda and salt. With the mixer on low, gradually add the dry ingredients. Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed and mix just until all ingredients are combined. Transfer the dough to a large sheet of plastic wrap, form into a ball, wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
4. To make the ice cream, in a medium bowl stir together the heavy cream, milk and sugar. Add the vanilla. Transfer the mixture to a countertop ice cream maker. Freeze according to manufactures instructions. At about 20 minutes, slowly pour in the lemon juice. Freeze until it firms up enough to be spooned out of the freezing bowl, about 25 minutes.
5. Line an 8 x 11 inch casserole dish with parchment paper. Transfer the ice cream to the dish and spread evenly. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze until firm, about 6 hours.
6. When the cookie dough is ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 15 x 10 inch, rimmed baking sheet.
7. Place the dough on a well-floured surface and roll into a rectangle or oval about the size of the cookie sheet. Transfer the dough to the cookie sheet and use floured hands to press the dough to the corners filling the sheet pan. Bake for 8 minutes, until the center is firm and edges slightly browned. Let cool completely.
8. Use a pastry cutter or knife to trim about ¼ inch off all sides of the pan to create a clean edge. Cut the cookies into 18 equal rectangles. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and place in the freezer until the ice cream is ready.
9. To assemble, run a spatula under the cookies to release them from the pan. Cut the ice cream into 9 equal portions. Place a cookie upside down on a piece of plastic wrap large enough to wrap the ice cream sandwich.
10. Place one rectangle of ice cream over the cookie. Place the second cookie over the ice cream to make a sandwich. Wrap in the plastic wrap and gently press the cookies together to spread the ice cream to the edges. Repeat with each ice cream sandwich. Freeze for 1 to 2 hours before serving.