Lemon Peel Flowers
This fun, spring craft provides a great way to use all those extra lemon peels you’ll have around from making fresh lemonade. These flower-shaped holders can be filled with candy or used to create mini floral arrangements for your spring table.
2 Paramount Citrus lemons
Heavy flat object like a plate or book
2 thumb tacks or short push pins
Jelly beans or a small piece of wet foam and small flowers
1. Hold one of the lemons vertically with the stem end at the bottom. Place the knife 1/3 of the way down from the top of the lemon.
2. Gently make a cut through the peel that extends down to the bottom of the lemon. It should arch in to the right slightly as you are making the cut for the first petal.
3. Place the knife ¾ to 1 inch to the right of the first cut, at the same level, 1/3 of the way down from the top. Make a cut through peel that extends down to the bottom of the lemon and arches to the left slightly to create the first petal.
4. Gently pull the peel that forms the first petal away from the flesh of the lemon, leaving it connected at the top beyond where the knife cut starts.
5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 to create 5 to 6 petals around the lemon.
6. Gently pull the peel completely off the lemon. Set the peel on a flat surface with the petals extended out on all sides. Carefully trim any rough or unattractive edges.
7. Place a plate or book over the peel to help flatten it. Leave the weight on the peel for 30 to 60 minutes, until the flattened peel is easy to work with.
8. Use the second lemon to cut out a ring which will become the center of the flower. It will hold the candy or floral arrangement. Hold the lemon horizontally and cut through the lemon about 1/3 of the way in towards the center. Make the second cut about ¾ inch to the right of the first cut.
9. Place the thick lemon slice, cut-side down on a flat surface. Use the knife to cut around the flesh of the lemon, just inside the peel. Remove the lemon flesh and scrape out any remaining fruit on the inside of the peel. Pat dry.
10. To secure the ring of lemon peel to the peel flower, insert two push pins or thumbtacks into the bottom of the peel flower so that the ends are exposed on the top side in the center where the ring will sit.
11. Adjust the lemon ring over the center of the peel flower so that the pins insert into the peel, securing the two pieces together. Be sure that no sharp edges are exposed.
12. Fill the center ring with jelly beans and display on your spring table.
13. To create floral arrangements, place a small piece of soaked wet foam in the ring. Cut small flowers so that the stem is no longer than 1 inch. Arrange the flowers by inserting them into the wet foam and then display.