Chipotle Lime Mac n Cheese
This creamy mac n cheese gets its heat from chipotle peppers along with a cooling twist of tangy flavor from fresh lime zest. It’s an easy and delicious side dish that makes the perfect partner for any main course.
SERVINGS: 6 to 8
TIME TO TABLE:
10 minutes prep, 20 minutes cooking.
2 slices bacon, chopped
¼ cup finely chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 cups 2% or whole milk
12 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
2 chipotle peppers, chopped + 2 teaspoons adobo sauce
1 teaspoon fine ground sea salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 lb. large elbow macaroni, cooked to al dente
Zest of 2 Paramount Citrus limes
1. In a 4 to 5 quart pot, cook the bacon over medium heat for about 7 minutes or until it becomes crisp and the fat is visible on the bottom of the pan. Transfer the bacon to a small dish.
2. Add the onion and garlic to the pot and cook for 1 minute. Add the butter, cook until melted and bubbly. Whisk in the flour until a paste forms. Slowly whisk in the milk.
3. Raise the heat to bring the milk to a simmer as you whisk. Continue to cook and whisk until the sauce thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon, 5 to 7 minutes.
4. Reduce the heat to low and stir in the cheese until melted. Add the chopped peppers and the adobo sauce, salt and ground black pepper.
5. Stir in the macaroni and the reserved bacon. Remove the pot from the heat. Add the lime zest and stir until all ingredients are combined and the pasta is coated with the sauce. Serve warm.