Thanksgiving Centerpiece with Lemons, Limes and Dried Oranges
The yellows, greens and oranges of citrus fruits provide a splash of seasonal color to autumn flower arrangements. This centerpiece uses bright lemons and limes with the deep colors of dried navel orange slices to create a Thanksgiving tablescape for celebrating your family meal.
MAKES: 1 flower arrangement
3 to 5 quart decorative bucket or flower pot
2 large pieces of wet foam, soaked
10 to 15 pieces of stem wire
3 to 4 bouquets of autumn flowers
3 Paramount Citrus lemons, halved
5 Paramount Citrus limes
6 to 8 Paramount Citrus dried navel orange slices
A mix of 5 to 6 whole Paramount Citrus lemons, limes or oranges
1. Begin by taking a look at your flower pot. Arrange it so that the side you prefer faces you. This will be the front of your centerpiece. If the pot has a hole, line it with plastic wrap or place a plate in the bottom to prevent the wet foam from leaking.
2. Arrange the wet foam to fill the bottom of the pot, reserving one large piece to stack on top of the bottom layer. Cut the foam with a knife as necessary. Place the final piece on top and secure it by inserting a piece of stem wire through the center to the bottom of the pot.
3. Begin working from the top, inserting flowers to fill the arrangement. Flower stems can be inserted directing into the wet foam. For any limp stems, secure them to a stem wire before inserting to help them stand up the way you wish.
4. Use the lemon halves and limes to fill in empty spots in the flowers. First, poke two to three stem wires into the fruit. Cut the stem wires with the wire cutters so that they stand at your desired height in the arrangement. Insert the stem wires into the wet foam. Add extra stem wires if needed to hold the fruit.
5. The dried orange slices can be hung in the arrangement in any remaining spaces that need to be filled. Cut a stem wire to the correct height for the arrangement and insert it into the wet foam. Gently pierce the dried orange slice and hang it on the stem wire.
6. Set the arrangement in the center of your table and place whole lemons, limes and oranges around the pot for decoration. The arrangement should last for 3 to 4 days, depending on the types of flowers selected.