Barbecue Pork Sliders with Lemon Garlic Slaw
Whether it’s an afternoon in the backyard enjoying the fall weather or time spent in front of the television cheering on your team, these easy slow cooker barbecue pork sliders will be a hit at your next party. Cooked in sweet barbecue sauce, the pork is finished off with a topping of crunchy slaw that shines with the flavor of lemon and garlic.
SERVINGS: 12 sliders
TIME TO TABLE:
20 minutes prep, 6 hours cooking.
3 ½ lb. boneless pork shoulder
¼ cup water
2 cups barbecue sauce (We love this Ancho Chile Lime Barbecue Sauce.)
1 small onion, sliced
2 cups green cabbage, shredded
1 cup purple cabbage, shredded
2 green onions, sliced
4 cloves garlic, peeled
Juice of 2 Paramount Citrus lemons
Zest of 1 Paramount Citrus lemon
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan cheese
¼ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
12 slider buns
1. Place the pork shoulder in the slow cooker. Add the water and 1 cup of the barbecue sauce. Place the onion slices on top of pork.
2. Put the lid on the slow cooker and turn to high. Cook for 5 to 6 hours, until the meat begins to fall apart.
3. About 20 minutes before the pork is ready to serve, toss the cabbages and onions in a medium bowl.
4. Place the garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest, mayonnaise, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper in the bowl of a small food processor. Pulse until the garlic is finally chopped and the ingredients come together into a dressing.
5. Pour the dressing over the cabbage and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate until the barbecue is ready.
6. When the pork is ready, transfer it to a cutting board. Leave the remaining sauce and juices in the slow cooker.
7. Use two forks or a fork and a knife to pull apart and shred the meat. Transfer the shredded meat back into the bowl of the slow cooker and toss it gently in the sauce.
8. Place 2 to 3 ounces of pork on each slider bun and top with 1 to 2 tablespoons of slaw. Add the top bun and arrange the sliders on a serving tray.
9. Serve the sliders with the remaining 1 cup of barbecue sauce on the