Orange Almond Caramel Popcorn
Whether it’s a party for the big game or an all out Halloween bash, caramel popcorn makes a fun snack. This nutty version is simple to make. It’s sweet and salty caramel coating is flavored with hints of orange and almond that make it impossible to pass up.
SERVINGS: 8 to 10
TIME TO TABLE:
15 minutes prep time, 1 hour baking time.
¾ cup popcorn kernels
4 tablespoons, unsalted butter
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup light corn syrup
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon almond extract
¼ teaspoon salt
Zest of 2 Paramount Citrus oranges
½ cup sliced almonds
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F.
2. Pop the popcorn kernels using your desired method. An air popper works well. Transfer the popcorn to a large bowl.
3. In a medium saucepan, combine the butter, brown sugar and corn syrup. Heat on medium-high, stirring often, just until the butter melts.
4. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the baking soda. Stir constantly for 15 to 20 seconds. The baking soda will foam slightly.
5. Stir in the almond extract, salt and orange zest.
6. Pour the caramel over the popcorn. Pour in the almonds.
7. Stir the popcorn to distribute the caramel and almonds. Continue stirring until all of the popcorn is coated.
8. Transfer the caramel popcorn to 2 small or 1 large baking sheet(s). Spread so that the popcorn is in an even layer over the sheet pan.
9. Bake for 1 hour, carefully stirring every 15 minutes.
10. Remove from the oven and transfer the popcorn to a large sheet of parchment paper on the countertop.
11. Allow the popcorn to cool for 5 to 10 minutes. Break up any large pieces and transfer the caramel popcorn to a serving bowl or an airtight container. It is best eaten within 2 to 3 days.