Dried Orange and Cinnamon Ornaments
Dried orange slices make the perfect addition to autumn decorations. When paired with cinnamon sticks and colorful ribbon they add a final touch that is perfect for the fall season. Make these ornaments and use them throughout the holidays for place settings, tablescapes, flower arrangements or as a thoughtful gift all on their own.
MAKES: 2 ornaments
1 Paramount Citrus Valencia orange
10 cinnamon sticks
2 - 24 in. piece of ribbon
1. To make the dried orange slices, preheat the oven to 200 degrees F.
2. Cut the orange into very thin slices, less than ¼ inch if possible. Discard any seeds. You will need 4 slices for each short ornament.
3. Place a cooling rack over a sheet pan. Place the orange slices on the rack. This keeps them elevated while drying so that air can get underneath the fruit.
4. Dry in the oven for about 2 hours. Remove when completely dry, and cool before making your ornament.
5. For each ornament, begin by tying the center of a piece of ribbon securely around a cinnamon stick.
6. Lace the ribbon up through the center of a slice of orange.
7. Place another cinnamon stick on top of the orange slice and tie the ribbon securely around it.
8. Continue layering orange slices and cinnamon sticks, ending with a cinnamon stick. For a short ornament, use 4 orange slices and 5 cinnamon sticks. You can also combine all the slices and cinnamon sticks for one long ornament using a longer piece of ribbon.
9. Tie the final cinnamon stick with the ribbon and use the remaining ribbon to hang the ornament, securing it with a bow.