Autumn Red Wine and Navel Orange Sangria
Toast to the holiday season with this festive sangria. The fresh juice of navel oranges is combined with red wine and brandy, and then mixed with fresh fruits coated in a spiced syrup. It has a rich, deep flavor that is perfect for fall and winter.
TIME TO TABLE:
20 minutes prep, 5 minutes cooking.
¾ cup water
1/3 cup raw sugar
1 cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon whole cloves
2 Paramount Citrus navel oranges
2 cups whole, fresh cranberries
1 Paramount Citrus lemon, sliced
1 Paramount Citrus lime, sliced
1 (750 ml.) bottle Zinfandel
1 cup freshly squeezed Paramount Citrus navel orange juice
¾ cup brandy
1. Add the water, sugar, cinnamon stick and cloves to a small saucepan. Use a vegetable peeler to remove the peel from 1 orange. Remove only the orange peel and not the white pith. Add the peel to the saucepan.
2. Heat the sugar and spices on medium, stirring often, just until the sugar fully dissolves. Remove from the heat and let the cinnamon, cloves and peel steep for 15 minutes while you prepare the other ingredients.
3. Slice the remaining orange and cut the slices in half. Add the orange slices, cranberries, lemon slices and lime slices to a medium bowl.
4. Strain the spiced syrup to remove the cinnamon, cloves and orange peel. Pour the strained syrup over the fruit and stir to coat. Set aside.
5. Pour the wine, orange juice and brandy into a large pitcher or punch bowl. Stir.
6. Transfer the syrup and fruit to the pitcher or punch bowl. Stir well.
7. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.