Lemon Dill Chicken and Rice Soup
A warm bowl of soup is the perfect meal to transition you from winter to spring. Chicken and rice make this version comforting while a twist of lemon and a sprinkle of fresh dill keep it light and refreshing.
SERVINGS: 4 to 6
TIME TO TABLE:
15 minutes prep, 45 minutes cooking.
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 lb.)
3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, divided
1 teaspoon salt, divided
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 stalks celery, sliced
2 small carrots, sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
Juice of 3 Paramount Citrus lemons
½ cup brown and wild rice mix
Zest of 1 Paramount Citrus lemon
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
1. First, poach the chicken breasts by filling a pot with 3 to 4 quarts of water (enough so that the chicken will be completely submerged). Add chicken breasts to the pot with 1 tablespoon of the dill and ½ teaspoon of the salt.
2. Bring the pot to a boil over medium-high heat. Scrape off and discard any foam that rises to the top of the water. Reduce the heat to low and cover the pot with a lid. Simmer the chicken for 10 to 15 minutes, until the center is no longer pink and it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
3. Place the chicken on a plate to cool. Reserve 2 cups of the poaching water.
4. While the chicken poaches, begin work on the soup. Heat the oil in a soup pot over medium-high. Add the celery, carrots, onion and garlic. Cook for about 10 minutes, until the vegetables begin to soften.
5. Add the stock, lemon juice and the 2 cups of reserved poaching water. Stir in the rice. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, partially covered, for 25 to 30 minutes, until the rice and vegetables are tender.
6. Meanwhile, once the chicken is cool enough to touch, use two forks to shred the breast meat into bite size pieces.
7. Once the rice is tender, stir the lemon zest, black pepper, remaining 2 tablespoons of dill and the remaining ½ teaspoon of salt into the soup.
8. Add the shredded chicken and simmer 2 to 3 more minutes, until the chicken has warmed through.